Château Ducru Beaucaillou
Ducru Beaucaillou gets its name from the ‘beaux cailloux’, better known as Gunzian gravel, carried away by the Garonne during the early Quaternary. The terroir consists mainly of gravel and cobbles. As a result, the roots have to seek their nourishment deep in the soil. In summer, the gravel retains heat during the day and returns it to the vines at night to speed up the ripening of the grapes. Being located at the mouth of the Gironde, the vineyard is protected from harsh winters and hot summers.
The château has been owned by several owners. In 1720, Jacques de Bergeron married his wife Marie Dejean at the church of Saint-Julien de Reignac. Under the stewardship of this well regarded member of the Bordeaux Parliament, wines could be distributed all the way to Scandinavia. In 1797, Bertrand Ducru acquired the estate. His love for the Médoc was so great that he invested heavily in the cellars and vineyards. His successors decided to add his name to Beaucaillou in Ducru’s honour.
Château Ducru Beaucaillou has been owned by the Borie family since 1942. Currently, Bruno-Eugène is in charge. A tireless perfectionist, he has recently launched a 10-year plan for the sustainable reconstruction of Ducru Beaucaillou’s vineyards and cellars.
2nd Grand Cru Classé
Château Ducru Beaucaillou is described as a typical Saint-Julien wine because of its dark colour, elegance and finesse. It is among the absolute top Médoc wines and was classified as 2nd Cru in the Bordeaux Classification in 1855.
Since 1995, Ducru Beaucaillou has also produced a second wine, the La Croix de Beaucaillou. Its flavour profile is characterised as complex, dry, dark fruit, wood-aged and with a powerful undertone. This wine can be kept for up to 25 years.
Reflection of quality and prestige
Château Ducru Beaucaillou is rich in architecture, art and literature. In the late 19th century, Nathaniel Johnston IV enlisted the help of renowned architect Michel-Louis Garos. Johnston wanted the château to reflect the quality of his wines and prestige of his wife, Princess Maria Caradja of Constantinople. Therefore, Garos built two majestic Victorian towers with terraces and balustrades on the north and south sides of the château.